Being Your Own Boss Doesn't Mean You Have No Boss

 There's a sentence I hear quite often:

"I want to quit my job and be my own boss."

I understand the appeal. I've thought about it too.

There's something attractive about waking up and knowing that nobody is going to tell you what to do. No manager asking where you are. No boss checking whether you've finished something. No one scheduling a meeting at 4pm when you were hoping to leave early.

You become your own boss. Sounds like freedom. Except there's one small problem.

You don't actually get rid of the boss.

You just get more of them.

I'm still an employee. And I also have a business.

For now, I still have my job. At the same time, I have a side business that I'm building. And honestly, I think this is a useful position to be in because I get to see both sides. As an employee, I have a fairly obvious boss. There are expectations. There are deadlines. There are things I have to do even when I don't feel like doing them. But when the workday ends, there's usually a boundary. My time becomes mine again.

The side business is different. Nobody is standing over my shoulder telling me what to do. But that doesn't mean nobody is demanding anything from me. In fact, the demands can be even more direct.

The client is the boss.

This is probably the part people don't understand when they say they want to be their own boss.

The client is the boss.

And the client is king.

They don't care that you woke up late.

They don't care that you had a bad day.

They don't care that you were supposed to have dinner with your family.

If they need something and you've promised to deliver it, you have a responsibility to deliver.

A boss might send you an email at 10am and expect an answer by 5pm.

A client might message you at 9pm because they have a question about something you sold them.

And here's the difference:

You can tell your boss, "I'll get back to you tomorrow."

With a client, you sometimes have to think very carefully before saying the same thing.

Because they can take their business somewhere else.

That's the part nobody puts on the inspirational Instagram quote.

When you're employed, your boss pays you.

When you're in business, your clients pay you.

So if you want to keep getting paid, you have to keep taking care of them.

Then there are the other bosses.

If you eventually rent an office, your landlord becomes another boss of sorts.

Miss the rent and you'll quickly find out how much freedom you really have.

I don't have that particular problem right now because I don't need an office for my side business.

That's one of the advantages of keeping things lean.

No office.

No unnecessary overhead.

No fancy furniture.

No expensive space sitting empty while I tell myself it makes the business look more professional.

But even without an office, there are still plenty of other "bosses."

Your bank becomes a boss when the loan payment is due.

Your monthly expenses become a boss when revenue isn't coming in fast enough.

Your employees become a boss when people depend on you for their salaries.

Your sales pipeline becomes a boss when you realise next month's income depends on what you do this month.

And perhaps the most difficult boss of all is your own expectations.

Because nobody is forcing you to grow.

Nobody is forcing you to make more money.

Nobody is forcing you to take on another client.

Nobody is forcing you to work on Saturday.

But you know what you want.

And now you're responsible for getting yourself there.

This is why entrepreneurship can feel heavier than employment.

When you're an employee, someone else has already made many of the decisions.

The company decides what product to sell.

The company decides who to hire.

The company decides how much to spend on marketing.

The company decides where the money goes.

Your job is to execute your part.

When you run a business, suddenly all those decisions become yours.

Should I take this client?

Should I lower the price?

Should I spend money on advertising?

Should I hire someone?

Should I say no?

Should I chase this lead again?

Should I expand?

Should I stay small?

And when something goes wrong, there's nobody above you to blame.

That's both the attraction and the burden.

You get the control.

But you also get the consequences.

So why do people still do it?

Because there is something different about being responsible for your own outcome.

Even with all the pressure, there is a satisfaction that comes from knowing:

"I built this."

You don't have to ask permission to change direction.

You can decide who you want to work with.

You can decide what kind of business you want.

You can decide whether growth is worth the additional stress.

And if you build it properly, perhaps one day you can create the thing you were looking for in the first place:

freedom.

But that freedom doesn't arrive on day one.

First comes responsibility.

Then comes pressure.

Then comes uncertainty.

Then, hopefully, if you build the right systems and make enough good decisions, some of that pressure starts disappearing.

That's when entrepreneurship can start to feel like freedom.

Not because you finally have no bosses.

But because you've built something that doesn't need to boss you around every minute of the day.

The reframe

Maybe the better question isn't:

"Do I want to be my own boss?"

Maybe it's:

"Am I willing to be responsible for everything that comes with being my own boss?"

Because being your own boss sounds great when you imagine choosing your working hours.

It sounds very different when you realise you are also responsible for the revenue.

The clients.

The bills.

The decisions.

The mistakes.

And the consequences.

Entrepreneurship doesn't remove pressure.

It changes where the pressure comes from.

And sometimes, the person you thought you were escaping from was never the real boss in the first place.

You were just exchanging one boss for a whole list of them.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The "Freedom" You Think a Business Will Give You Doesn't Exist Yet

Why Do I Want to Give My Sons a Lump Sum at 21 and 23 in 2046

Why I’m Betting on a Side Hustle Instead of Climbing the Corporate Ladder