The Year She Was Born
I had an intern this year. She came from Singapore Polytechnic, and I was assigned to be her mentor. In the beginning, I did not think much of it. I asked her name, asked about her course, and moved on with the usual first-week routine.
Then we went for an onsite visit to a client. One of the clients looked at her and said she looked young, then asked her age. She said eighteen. I did not really process it. I know polytechnic students are usually between seventeen and nineteen, so the number did not register as anything unusual.
Then the client asked, out of curiosity, which year she was born.
She said 2008.
That was the moment it hit me. Not gradually, not gently. All at once.
The Math I Was Not Ready For
I was still a first year polytechnic student myself that year. I had not even started my working life. And now, without fully realizing how I got here, I am thirty five years old, with almost eight years of work behind me.
I could not sleep that night. I kept turning the same question over in my head: where did those eight years go?
I graduated from university and started working in 2017. Since then, I have changed jobs every two to three years, always telling myself I was moving forward, building something. But when I try to trace the years honestly, 2020 to 2023 seems to have collapsed into a single blur. And before I even noticed, it is already 2026.
Slow, Then Suddenly Fast
Looking back, the first phase of my life felt slow. School, exams, growing up. Every year had weight. Every year felt earned.
But ever since I started working, time has behaved differently. It moves faster, and I cannot always explain why. It is not that nothing happened in those years. It is that too many of the days looked the same. Wake up, clock in, clock out, sleep. Repeat. When each day carries the same shape as the one before it, the mind stops marking it as something separate. Instead of years, you are left with something closer to one long stretch of sameness.
That is what makes this feel so unsettling. Not that time passed, but that so much of it passed without leaving a trace I can point to.
A Mirror I Did Not Ask For
My intern did nothing wrong. She simply answered a question honestly. But in that answer, I saw exactly how much distance now sits between where she is starting and where I already am. It was not really about her age. It was about mine, and about how much of my own timeline I can no longer account for in detail.
It made me confront something I had been avoiding. If I keep living the same routine, without direction, without building anything I will remember, I am going to reach fifty, sixty, and look back at another stretch of years I cannot fully explain.
What I Do Not Want
I do not want to live with regret. If I continue to just wake up, clock in for work, clock out for work, sleep, and repeat, I will regret it thirty years later.
Comments
Post a Comment