A Head Start I Never Had

Every year, I watch the National Day Rally not because I am particularly patriotic about policy speeches, but because I have kids now, and every announcement about family support means something different to me than it used to. This year, the government unveiled a new SG Child Support Package, and it is, without exaggeration, one of the more generous moves I have seen in a long time.

Here is what it looks like, broken down.

The New Package

Every Singaporean child, from birth to age 17, will now receive close to $70,000 in direct support. It replaces the old Baby Bonus Cash Gift and Large Families Scheme with something flatter and simpler, where the amount your child receives no longer depends on whether they are your first, second, or fourth.

The breakdown goes like this:

  • A $10,000 Baby Gift, paid out in two tranches within the child's first year
  • $32,000 in Child Credits, disbursed as $2,000 cash every year from age one to sixteen
  • A $5,000 CDA First Step Grant, with up to another $5,000 in government co-matching, now extended until the child turns sixteen
  • A $10,000 Post-Secondary Education Account top-up when the child turns seventeen
  • On top of all this, the existing $5,000 MediSave Grant at birth and annual Edusave top-ups through school continue as before

Read quickly, it is just a list of numbers. But if you sit with it, what the government is really doing is spreading support across an entire childhood instead of concentrating it at birth. That $2,000 a year is the part that caught my attention the most, because I already know exactly what I plan to do with it.

What I Did With the Last One

When my kids were born, I did not touch a single dollar of the Baby Bonus Cash Gift. I know many parents used it for confinement costs, diapers, or childcare fees, and that is a completely reasonable choice. But I made a decision early on that this money was not going to disappear into daily expenses. I invested it into ES3, the SPDR Straits Times Index ETF, and left it alone.

I did not do anything clever. No stock picking, no timing the market, no trying to find the next big multibagger. I just bought into Singapore's own blue-chip index, the same one that holds DBS, OCBC, UOB, Singtel, and CapitaLand, and let time do what time does when you do not interfere with it.

Today, my kids are sitting on 7,200 shares of ES3. At current prices, that is worth somewhere around forty thousand dollars, and that number include the dividends collected along the way, which have been reinvested. 

Why the New $2,000 Changes the Plan, Not the Principle

The new Child Credits are not a one-time gift. They come in every single year, from age one until sixteen. That is fifteen separate payments of $2,000, arriving like clockwork, at an age when my kids will have no idea it is even happening.

My plan is simple. The same thing I did with the Baby Bonus, I will do with this. Every payout goes straight into ES3. No spending it on toys, no folding it into the monthly budget, no convincing myself it is "just $2,000, it will not matter." Over fifteen years, consistently invested, it will matter a great deal.

I am not a financial advisor, and I am not telling anyone this is the only way or even the best way to use this money. Plenty of families need it for real, immediate expenses, and that is exactly what the government intended it for. But for families in a position to set it aside, this is the kind of policy that rewards patience in a very literal way. The government is essentially funding a long-term investment account for your child before your child even understands what an investment account is.

The Head Start

By the time my kids turn seventeen, if I keep doing exactly what I have been doing, they will not just be starting adult life with zero debt and a clean slate. They will be starting it with a portfolio. Something I never had at that age, something most people never have at that age.

I think about the intern I mentored recently, born in 2008, stepping into the working world with nothing behind her except her own effort, the same way I did, the same way most of my generation did. My kids will not start from that same blank page. They will start from a position I spent eighteen years quietly building for them, one Baby Bonus and one Child Credit at a time.

That, to me, is the real gift from this year's National Day Rally. Not the $70,000 headline figure, but the reminder that consistency, applied early and left untouched, compounds into something far bigger than the sum of its parts.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The "Freedom" You Think a Business Will Give You Doesn't Exist Yet

Why Do I Want to Give My Sons a Lump Sum at 21 and 23 in 2046

Am I a Bad Husband and Father for Wanting to Hustle Hard for My Family’s Future?