From $2,000 a Year to a Six-Figure Head Start
In my previous post, I wrote about the new SG Child Support Package announced at National Day Rally 2026, and how I have never touched a single dollar of the Baby Bonus Cash Gift my kids received. Every dollar went into ES3, the SPDR Straits Times Index ETF, and was left alone to grow. Today my kids, ages one and three, are sitting on a combined 7,200 shares.
That post got me thinking further. The new $2,000 Child Credits, paid annually per child from age one to sixteen, is not a one-time gift like the Baby Bonus. It is fifteen to sixteen separate payments, arriving every single year like clockwork. So I did a calculation and simulation of my children's portfolio, to see what this could actually turn into if I kept doing exactly what I have been doing.
Setting the Assumptions
I did not want to build a fantasy projection based on the best years of the stock market. I wanted something conservative, a safe margin, so I used these numbers:
- Starting point: 7,200 shares, current ES3 price around $5.77
- Price appreciation of average 4 percent a year, a conservative estimate for ES3's long term capital growth
- Dividend yield of 3.5 percent a year, fully reinvested into new shares every year
- No Child Credit in 2026 itself, since the scheme only starts disbursing from 2027
- My older child, age three in 2026, receives $2,000 a year from 2027 until age sixteen, which is fourteen payments
- My younger child, age one in 2026, receives $2,000 a year from 2027 until age sixteen, which is sixteen payments
- Every dollar, whether from dividends or Child Credits, goes straight back into buying more ES3
What the Simulation Showed
The results surprised me, not because any single year looked dramatic, but because of how steadily the number climbed.
2026 itself sees no Child Credit at all, since the scheme only starts paying out from 2027. In that first year, the portfolio simply grows from dividend reinvestment, moving from 7,200 shares to roughly 7,450 shares. But once 2027 arrives and the annual payments begin, the pace picks up. By 2032, six years into the scheme, the combined holding reaches roughly 15,100 shares, worth around $110,500. By 2040, when my older child's Child Credits run out at age sixteen, the portfolio sits at roughly 24,100 shares. And by 2042, when my younger child's final Child Credit lands, the combined holding reaches close to 26,200 shares, worth an estimated $283,600.
That is the portfolio growing from $41,500 today to nearly $284,000 over sixteen years, without me adding a single extra dollar beyond what the government already gives.
What Happens If I Just Leave It Alone
Then I asked myself a different question. What if I stop adding fresh money entirely after the Child Credits end, and simply let the dividends keep reinvesting on their own until 2046?
The answer is that the portfolio keeps climbing, just at a gentler slope. By 2046, twenty years from today, the combined holding reaches approximately 26,900 shares, worth an estimated $340,000. My kids would be in their early twenties by then, likely starting careers, maybe starting families of their own, and there would be a fund quietly waiting for them that neither of them had to build a single cent of themselves.
Adding the Angbao Money
There was one more variable I wanted to test. Every Chinese New Year, my kids receive angbao money, and a portion of it has always gone into their ES3 holdings as well. So I ran the simulation again, this time adding an extra $2,000 a year from angbao money, starting in 2027 and running for six years until 2032, on top of everything else already in the model.
The difference surprised me more than I expected. By 2032, the combined holding reaches roughly 15,133 shares instead of 13,000, worth about $110,500 instead of $97,100. That six-year window of extra contributions, totaling just $12,000 in nominal terms, adds far more than $12,000 of value by the time 2046 arrives.
By 2046, the version with the angbao fund reaches approximately 30,101 shares, worth an estimated $380,700, compared to 26,879 shares and $339,900 without it. That is a difference of roughly 3,200 extra shares and about $40,800 in extra value, generated from only $12,000 of additional money contributed fourteen years earlier.
The lesson here is not really about angbao money specifically. It is about timing. Money added early has more years to compound than money added later, even if the total amount contributed is identical. Six years of an extra $2,000 starting in 2027 outperforms the same $12,000 added as a lump sum closer to 2046, simply because it had more time to grow quietly in the background.
The Honest Caveats
I want to be upfront about something. This is a projection, not a promise. A 4 percent price growth and 3.5 percent yield are reasonable long run assumptions for the Straits Times Index, but no single year moves in a straight line. Markets rise and fall. Twenty years is long enough that even a small change in assumed returns can swing the final number meaningfully in either direction. These figures are also in nominal dollars, not adjusted for inflation, so the real purchasing power two decades from now will be somewhat less than the number on paper. I am not a financial advisor, and this should be read as an illustration of what disciplined reinvestment can do over time, not a guarantee or a recommendation.
Why This Matters More Than the Number
What strikes me most is not the $380,700 figure itself. It is the mechanism behind it. None of this required me to be a skilled investor, or to time any market, or to take on any real risk beyond holding a diversified index. It required exactly two things. Do not spend the money that was never meant to be spent. And leave it alone long enough for time to do the rest.
I think back to the intern I mentored, born in 2008, starting her working life with nothing behind her except her own effort, the same way I did, the same way most people do. My kids will not start from that same blank page. They will start from a position quietly built for them over eighteen years, one Baby Bonus and one Child Credit at a time, without them ever having to lift a finger for it.
If there is one thing this simulation confirmed for me, it is that the biggest gift in the new National Day Rally package was never really the $70,000 headline number. It was the fifteen years of consistency the policy quietly demands of parents willing to leave the money untouched.
Comments
Post a Comment